If the title of the article has attracted you then it is essential that the first things come first. We all know what is coworking and as the title says that travel working is the next big thing after coworking. Ah, what does that even mean? Let us understand this from the very basics.
What is travel working?
Travel working, also known as ‘work and travel’ programs are one of the most trending things in the lives of the employers as well as the self-employed individuals. It is an agenda where you can work and travel at the same time being a part of a like-minded community without hampering a productive outcome. In fact, your creative instincts are at their culmination point and you tend to do better in your job.
A brief on how it works
How would you feel if we told you that now you could travel the world all the time without letting go of your salary? Sounds unbelievable?? With the new travel working option in the coworking mode, you can grow immensely, and broaden your horizons beyond the small office cubicle that you have. This is one of the most happening trends that can eliminate all chances of work monotony and also can make each of your days super productive. These new age travel workers are also called ‘gappers’ and their main motto is to make work life fun and frolicking by changing places frequently.
If you think that these gappers are only those people who are doing small-time duties, you are wrong, there are certainly high profile people who are indulging in the same and you would be astounded to know that Sir Mervyn King, the Bank of England governor, and Peter Voser, the former head of Royal Dutch Shell are also in the list. If you are still in a quandary as to what travel working is and how it works, let us give you a clear example of an amazing travel working community who have been operating successfully in various parts of the world and coming up with productive outputs.
The ‘Remote Year’ work experience – an ideal travel working example
Here in the ‘remote year’, the jobs are not tied to any one location but in 12 different cities, and every working group is connected to one another via the internet. Each and every individual in the group has maintained a regular work order thus making a decent income and that too without any specific boundations. The cost of going for a ‘Remote’ work experience is high- about $2000 per month with an entry fee of $3000 in the first place, but there are amazing benefits that one can get to enjoy as well. The benefits include round the clock internet connectivity, increased level of networking with like-minded people and you can mix with the best of the people from the community you are being a part of.
Here you get to encounter people who are web and graphic designers, web developers, journalists, lawyers, accountants and a lot of other people catering to a number of professions with only one thing in common- all wanted a break free from monotony. While you are travelling, all the costing is taken care of including the food and the lodging. So you can basically indulge in all kinds of adventures without having to think of the cost.
Pros of Travel Working
The positive aspects of travel working are as follows-
- You get to build a stronger network. Sitting back at the office you could only connect via some online professional forums like LinkedIn. But travel working helps you to build networks via direct approach and you get to talk and share ideas face to face as well.
- You will feel more inspired and your productivity will increase- well, as you travel, every single day means a new chance of adventure and meeting new people. Also when you see everyone working in the best possible manner, you will also get the inspiration to work hard as well. It is like being in a college library where you get to meet and learn from students of different subjects.
- You get to save a lot- this is one of the major benefits of travel working. No matter where you go, the costing is taken care of and you do not have to think about renting an office space as well. Instead, you can have the money to spend on good adventurous tasks while travelling, thus making your experience extra special.
- You have got the entire world to learn from- go wherever you want, talk to whosoever seems like-minded and get unlimited opportunities of learning when you have the globe at your disposal. Now thinking of a world tour while working is not at all a crazy idea. In fact, let your adulting start with this work travel agenda and then you can understand the major improvement in your professional life.
Cons of Travel Working
In every work sphere, you do have disadvantages and travel working is no exception
- You have limited privacy- privacy is something that you will most likely lack while you are choosing the life travelling travel worker. In an office space, everyone gets to have their own cubicle or desk to carry out their work, but here there is no guarantee that you will be getting so. That is the reason why you have to make sure that privacy is not a priority to you and you will be able to do work in a free mind.
- You might miss co-workers and even feel homesick- this is always a part of coworking. You will feel a lack of your regular coworkers who used to boost you and be a partner of your daily gossips but that is okay. You can meet and greet new people and make new friends while travelling every day.
- More distractions- yes, travel working is sureshot to get you distracted towards numerous food and adventure trips but make sure you are determined to work for a specific span of time each day.
Tips to succeed coworking while travelling:
Manage your time efficiently- make use of digital applications to stop distractions and manage time in the best possible manner.
- Asana- this app helps in tracking you pending projects
- Google calendar- organises all your meetings, and keeps a note of all important events.
- Focus booster- it makes ample use of the Pomodoro technique (go figure!) to help you avoid distractions.
- Toggle- helps you keep a note of time taken to complete per project.
Make a structured project agenda and work according to the routines so that you do not miss out on something important.
Find a work-life balance – Many people overwork while travelling thus barely finding time for themselves, but that is not done. Every now and then, pamper yourself with treats and adventures so that your body and mind is ever fresh to take up new projects.